Tuesday 31 May 2011

Books & Boots

Against my better judgement (ish) I splashed out and purchased a pair of winter boots. Annoyingly I was out when they were delivered, so now they are being REdelivered, with any luck they will arrive today and one of the many students who live near by will be in (fingers crossed).


I went for these. Low heel, but enough to give you a little lift. They are a tad bikery so I got them in suede, which tones it down a bit. I am a bit worried they will be too small, I read a couple for reviews that said they come up small, but the next size up was sold out so I'm just hoping. 

In other news, check out these beautiful books my boss leant me. They are genuine 1950s editions. Her Mother bought them whilst she was living in France. They have all been signed by owners past, and one has some notes written on the sleeve (I think who ever they were, must have been studying it). 




I had been banging on about how much I love reading, so she brought in a couple of hefty tomes too, these should keep me busy. 


Had a quick peek at Dr. Zhivago, it looks promising can't wait to get started, but I want to finish Barbara Pym's Excellent Women first. It's not a book I would have chosen for myself, but my Grandma gave it to me and she generally has pretty good taste. The best way I can describe it is Just William for adults. Pym is bang on the money in her portrayal of society, and quite humorous with it. 

Last time she visited she bought me Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey. Again I probably wouldn't have picked this one out, but I'm quite looking forward to getting my nose between the leaves.  



    

She also gave me The Mabinogion, a nod to our Welsh heritage, which I'm looking forward to reading. The edition I have only has 2 stories, and a picture of a rather insipid looking damsel on the cover. The complete Mabinogion is a collection of 12, all taken from two older sources: The Red Book of Hergest, and The White Book of Rhydderch. As its so small it will make perfect lunchtime reading. 



I joined GoodReads a couple of months ago, and so far it has been great. I got sent a couple of books to review (free books!). One of the authors, Derek Murphy, sent me Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, as a thank you. I was really touched by this as it was a book I had mentioned wanting to read.


At soem point I will get round to putting up reviews of all of these books, though it may take a while to get through them all! 

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a little bit of love.